A new hearing device is now available for some hearing-impaired people. This device uses a magnet to hold the detachable sound-processing portion in place. Like other aids, it converts sound into vibrations. But it is unique in that it can transmit the vibrations directly to the magnet and then to the inner ear. This produces a clearer sound. The new device will not help all hearing-impaired people only those with a hearing loss caused by infection or some other problem in the middle ear. It will probably help no more than 20 percent of all people with hearing problems. Those people who have persistent ear infections, however, should find relief and restored hearing with the new device.
Following are some TOEFL sample questions on this passage:
- What is the author’s main purpose?
- To describe a new cure for ear infections
- To inform the reader of a new device
- To urge doctors to use a new device
- To explain the use of a magnet
- The word “relief” in the last sentence means:
- Less distress